The use of Open Source Software (OSS) in companies of all sizes and maturity levels has grown exponentially during the last decade. However, many legal challenges remain that can affect businesses hard if not properly addressed. Businesses require the most experienced legal counsel to understand and navigate through the complexities of OSS licenses.
Pearl Cohen’s Open Source team is unrivaled in its experience of OSS licenses, bringing a profound understanding of the legal risks involved with the use of free/open source software. We help our clients understand the scope and breadth of exposure and take mitigating steps to minimize or eliminate it, making prudent and safe use of free/open source software while protecting their intellectual property.
Clients benefit from our team’s strategic combination of a practical approach, years of hands-on experience, and a deep understanding of client technology, particularly computer code.
Our comprehensive OSS services include:
- Legal guidance on compliant use of popular OSS, while maintaining the confidentiality of proprietary software code
- Legal advice on the integration of GPL & LGPL software with proprietary software code
- Drafting, establishing, and implementing corporate policies on the use, development, integration, and distribution of OSS
- Conducting Due Diligence review of OSS and its use
- Advising corporate OSS compliance boards on prudent use and integration of open source software
- Legal opinions regarding OSS
- Training sessions to software development teams on the do’s and don’ts of utilizing OSS
- Integration of corporate open source governance policies with automatic tools for OSS scanning
- Litigation: members of our Israel team represented the defendants in the first Israeli court case to deal with the integration of GPL and proprietary software code. (Marianovsky v. IChessU, in the District Court of Tel-Aviv)