As artificial intelligence and computer capabilities in general continue to evolve, and issues regarding user privacy and security make headline news, software developers need help to make sure they are in compliance with an array of regulations. They also need help getting their products to market and protecting their intellectual property in a fiercely competitive global market.
Pearl Cohen’s Software team is multinational and multilingual. We provide services across all legal aspects of software such as PC and workstation software, mobile apps, web-based applications, and embedded software and firmware. As business-oriented lawyers who understand the software sector, we are also professional dealmakers who find a way to get the deal done.
Our lawyers know how essential software is for daily business procedures, and our clients count on us to stay up-to-date with legal trends in protecting their software across various jurisdictions worldwide. Our areas of expertise include utility patents, design patents, copyrights, trade secrets, licensing, end-user license (EULAs), Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) agreements, and Open Source Software (OSS) considerations. We also are skilled in the challenging task of protecting mobile apps and use sophisticated approaches to cover both user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) as part of an overall business perspective. We are up-to-date and experienced in navigating the ever-evolving laws and patent office practices regarding patenting software.
We provide services across all legal aspects of PC software, mobile apps, web-based applications, and embedded software and firmware. This includes:
- Commissioned outsourced software development contracts
- Copyright registration of software
- End-user license agreements (EULAs)
- Analysis and opinions of freedom to operate (FTO)
- Transactions to license software
- Patent drafting of software-based inventions
- Software IP rights enforcement
- SaaS agreements
- Regulations concerning electronic (digital) signatures and their use in complex software applications
Among other segments of the computer and software fields, we have experience protecting:
- Machine learning, artificial intelligence, and neural networks
- Microprocessor and computer architecture, including systems on chip (soc), embedded systems, memory management, and storage
- Computer networks, including internet infrastructure and cybersecurity
- Video and image processing, including computer vision, augmented reality (ar), and virtual reality (vr)
- Audio processing, including voice recognition and analysis
- Crowdsourcing and “big data”
- Human-machine interface, including natural user interface (nui) machine-to-machine (m2m) communications
- Social networks and advertising
- Smartphone apps
- Software tools for financial services