Leslie Kushner is Counsel in the Litigation Group at Pearl Cohen’s New York office. She is an experienced intellectual property attorney, with an extensive background in life sciences, biotechnology, and biochemistry. Dr. Kushner utilizes her decades of experience as a biomedical research scientist to represent clients in a complex patent (including Hatch-Waxman), trade secret, and contract litigation across various industries, focusing her practice on chemical, biotechnological, pharmaceutical, diagnostic and medical device matters. She also counsels clients on patent validity and freedom-to-operate, performs intellectual property due diligence investigations, and negotiates and drafts licensing, joint venture, and consulting agreements.
Dr. Kushner’s experience includes patent infringement litigation pertaining to pharmaceutical and biotechnological inventions, trade secret litigation pertaining to drug formulations and educational services, copyright litigation pertaining to the entertainment industry, and contract litigation pertaining to biotechnological methods and educational services. Dr. Kushner has provided professional opinions on small-molecule pharmaceuticals, antibodies, cytokines, oligonucleotides, siRNA, enzyme inhibitors, and automotive parts, and has performed due diligence analyses for firms in the pharmaceutical, biotechnological, food, and gaming industries.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Dr. Kushner was faculty at a major metropolitan medical center where she performed and supervised biochemical and molecular biological research on the urologic disease. Dr. Kushner has also performed research on neuroreceptor expression and activity, and fatty acid oxidation. Dr. Kushner has authored over 20 scientific publications and is an inventor on several patents.
- Patenting Diagnostic Tests: Can We Expect Changes?, THE IP STRATEGIST, January 2020
- Timing of Patent-Eligibility Challenges In Pharma Cases, Law 360, March 2018
- Federal Circuit Split On Specification’s Role in Determining Patent Eligibility, Holland & Knight, 2016
- Shrinking Territory: Patent Eligibility of Biotechnological Inventions, Today’s General Counsel, January 2015
- US Patents: New USPTO Treatment of Business Methods, Managing IP, September 2014
- Patenting Natural Compounds, 3-2014 Fordham Intell. Prop. Media & Ent. L.J. BLOG, 2014
- Does Myriad alter the patentability of natural products?, Managing IP, March 2014
- Startup America: A Commercialisation Wakeup Call, Financier Worldwide, July 2011
- Incentivizing Postmarketing Pharmaceutical Product Safety Testing with Extension of Exclusivity Periods, 19 Fordham Intell. Prop. Media & Ent. L.J. 519, 2009
- Lawyer Monthly Women in Law Award (2018)
- New York Metro SuperLawyers Rising Star (2014-2019)
- Pro Bono Publico Award, The Legal Aid Society (2011, 2012, 2014)
- Pro Bono All-Star, Holland & Knight (2017)